Police & Council involvement

What happens once a P lab is found?

Police & ESR

  • Police and ESR scientists from the National Clan Lab Team will investigate the scene
    Forensic and Industrial Science Ltd

    Police warning at clan lab scene

  • Police inform the Territorial Authority (city or District Council)
  • Police may also inform the property owners directly
  • The Police may provide additional information to the property owner such as lists of chemicals removed


  • Council may issue a Notice requiring the property to be tested

For example:

  • Declaration of Hazardous Substance Emergency under the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996
  • Notice requiring analysis for hazardous chemicals
  • Cleansing Order under section 41 of the Health Act 1956
  • Council may place details regarding police findings and independent testing results on council records against the property identification file. This information would then be made available in the event of any Land Information Memorandum (LIM) application.